Thursday, October 23, 2014

Zuni Mountain

Prep for Zuni Mountain went down like this: 52 mile bike path ride (with a couple of laps on a cross course) the Saturday before the race. Then a week of no biking plus several days of meals consisting of pizza, doughnuts, soda, hot dogs, and Mexican food. If I had simply incorporated some EPO I would have had a winning formula. I mean, look how high this dude can lift his bike and he's not even on a podium, but he is PRO.



I roll up to the campsite at McGaffey Lake (there is no lake btw, just a pond with no water by east coast standards) just before dark on Friday and get the tent set up as the sun disappears. I'm in bed about 10pm and wake up throughout the night 'cause its way colder than I was expecting.

Saturday morning I down two slices of pizza, a banana, and some strong coffee from the percolator. Race starts at 8am and the pack takes off quick. I lag at the back; it's cold, my stomach is full, and I'm still not awake. I stick with what was probably the second pack for a bit and then they lose me. I catch a dude named Mone from Vail on some 29+ drop bar road bike contraption as he's taking off some layers. He quickly catches back up before the first singletrack descent though. I ride by myself for most of the loop, get lost trying to find Quaking Aspen trail, and then finish the loop up with Mone. I manage to keep my pit time to about 8 minutes and scarf down a stinger waffle.

One the second loop I knew where I was going but the tummy was misbehaving a little bit and I began struggling with cramps. I actually stopped twice on the Quaking Aspen climb to take a breather. Once I got back to the gravel road I started really watching the clock and was hoping to make it in under 8 hours. Somehow I dug deep and the power came back and I was able to rip it the last half hour or so and finish in 7:50. I'll be back next year, hopefully sporting a harder gear, a faster rolling tire, and some improved fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment