Monday, June 2, 2014

Lost Alamos

Before I talk about Los Alamos, a few photos of our Memorial Day camping trip. We didn't actually get to climb due to the rainy weather but had fun exploring:

Pajarito Burnout: Last minute decision to attempt the A course (62 miles). Rolled into Los Alamos about 8:30 and cruised around for a campsite. Set up in a trail head parking lot and was asleep by 9:30. Up at 5:30. Coffee on the MSR pocket rocket and a sausage mcmuffin from McDonald's. I'm at the back of the pack which is fine. Hike a bike into the canyon within the first mile. I settle in with two other guys and we ride together for a while until we hit the big singletrack climb and they drop me. It's super hot and I just can't seem to get moving. Decide to switch to the B course (36 miles sounds better). Meet up with a SS'er and we ride and walk together up to about 9500' before the big descent. Stopped at the top to grab some snacks and photos. We ride most of the course together and the bottom sections of the trail in the dry stream beds is a blast. He bails at the Pajarito trail head water drop. I attempt to proceed but the trail is now fenced off by the Department of Defense and there is a no trespassing sign. I ride up and down the road trying to find the trail and eventually bail. Attempt to ride back to town and take a wrong turn. Backtrack and eventually find myself on the single track that the race first started on. Rode some of this and then lost the GPS track again. I could hear traffic so I said fuck it and headed up a forest road which put me back in town. Rode back to the start and that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment