Sunday, May 4, 2014

50 mile Tijeras Attempt and Run for the Zoo 10K

Saturday I got a late start but made it to the Ranger's station around 11 for what I hoped would be 50 miles on the trail. Mike H. just happened to show up as I was getting ready so we decided to hit the trail together. Mike wasn't planning on such a long route so we parted ways after turkey trot. Route as follows: Ranger station>337>tunnel>Otero>Gnasty>Blue Ribbon>FS106>Drop In>Cajun Pine>Wild Turkey>Turkey Trot>FS335>Wild Turkey>Raven Rd>337>Oak Flats Rd>Mahogany>Ponderosa>Mahogany>Bear Scat>Pinyon>Lone Pine>FS12>Meadow Ridge>Cedro>FS252>FS13>Coyote>337 Going up Tunnel is always a good way to get the blood pumping and the lungs hurting. Mike ripped the downhill on his new Honzo and then we cranked up Otero. At the Gnasty intersection we stopped to chat with a guy on a SS Waltworks with super short stays and a micro drive of sorts setup. Up Gnasty to the rock ledge which I can never seem to clear, however I did clean the uphill section of Blue Ribbon which I don't think I've ever done in the past. The idea was to make a SS friendly route that had some good recovery/eating points along the way. On Cajun Pine I hit a sandy corner, had a two wheel drift, and managed to save it by putting a foot down. Mike blasted the downhill sections of Turkey Trot and then we parted ways on the dirt road. I climbed back up Wild Turkey which was all rideable, albeit slow and rocky. Ponderosa was a new section of trail that I had never ridden before, it's super fast and flowy and fun! Once I was on Bear Scat I knew I had to be more careful navigating so I didn't get lost on one of the unnamed trails that litter that part of the forest. The end of Bear Scat is a scary downhill with a bunch of loose sections, drops, and switchbacks. I walked quite a few parts of it. After you drop in elevation you wind up in a rocky creek bed which is a lot more tame and a blast to ride. After Lone Pine I changed my route to pick up Cedro singletrack in hopes that the Cedro campground would have some water. Once I got over there the campground and parking lot were empty and the gates locked. I tried the water spigot and nothing...The original plan was to take FS542 over to Powerline and then to Delbert's but since I had about 3/4 of a bottle left I headed up 242 and then took 13 over to Coyote for the finish. All in all a great day in the woods! I still need to figure out the nutrition side of things. I either seem to be eating/drinking way too much or way too little, gotta find a happy medium. Sunday was my first running race ever, the Run for the Zoo 10K. Not too much to say about it but that I started off a little too hot and by about the 3 mile mark I was starting to fade. I kept it together but the last two miles were rough and I had a bunch of the people I had passed earlier catching back up to me. I did manage to finish in an hour and seconds so it wasn't a total unraveling. I think I'm good on running races for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment